Monday, December 28, 2009

Day Minus Three


I thought I would give myself a couple of days here to figure out how to use this blog tool. Here is the plan. Starting on the 1st of January, first of the new decade, first of the year... I am going to start a project that many an artist has surely attempted before: A new art piece everyday for a year. Hence, "Laurentia Does 365".

Just now in a slight panic, I googled to make sure that 2010 is not a leap year. It is not. That would suck as I have no idea if I can change the name of the blog, delete the blog or just what I can do yet.

To get this ball rolling, let me tell myself the ground rules.

1. all art must be created completely in 2010.
2. A photo of said object will be posted daily.
3. If somehow, I make two or more pieces in a single day, I consider that working ahead, giving me time to have a slack day... 365 in 365 days... not one a day for 365 days.
4. Similarly, a piece may be created over several days, weeks or even months, it just needs to be started after midnight on Jan 1st, and can only be presented once.
5. Each piece must be completed. By my standards. Pretty sketchy this one, but, I know what I mean.
6. Each piece must be at least the size of a large postcard. And with that in mind, many may actual be on post card paper, ready to roll. They would be my minimal offering. And if anyone should want one, let me know!
7. As a visual artist, will not limit myself to any particular medium. Drawing, painting, sculpture, or even photography.
8. Ideally, every piece will be accompanied by some verbal recap, that is what most people think of with the blog name, but at the minimim, a photo will be posted and that counts as a day!


I will start with those for now.

Now, just so you know, my delusions do not extend to thinking that everyday will be a stunning push forward in my art. I just hope to stay away from suck for the most part. And generally hope to find something interesting, if not always inspired.  And perhaps even occasionally something enlightening will emerge.

So, here it is, well after midnight on the Monday before New Years. Friday, Jan 1, 2010.

And to get the ball rolling, lets find out how to add the photo you already see at the top. That painting was made a while ago. Probably around 2002 or so. It is 24"x36" or so, acrylic.

So, thats it for today, I will be tweeking my look in the next couple days, learning how to write, and gathering supplies.

I am excited to see how this will play out. I have contemplated this type of project before, but have not followed through. Here's to a fun year.

No comments:

Post a Comment