Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day Minus Two



In preparation I have started cleaning in the studio. I ditched some brushes that are long past any use other than 'stir stick'.  I also did some serious palette scraping. And several paint tubes of nothing squeezable found the trash. I emptied the trash cans, arranged the pencils, and sorted the sharpies. I stashed some drawings and cleaned the tables.

All the while I was doing some finish work on a painting, and adding color to a drawing, both in progress. In Progress… shit. So, they don’t count.  At some point I will show them here, but not today.And I can’t start anything new… Rather, won’t. Somewhere I must have a fear that I only have limited images inside me wanting to seep out. So I don’t want to waste one of them when I need the full 365 starting in just a couple days.

And here I always say that art is a muscle, the more you make, the stronger the creative urge becomes, and the more images come along, begging to be created over and over and over.That said, perhaps I should start making stuff right now, build up a head of steam. Catapult into the 2010. I like the idea. Of course, my inner demon will probably keep me in limbo for a couple days. Not only do I not want to start anything new, I want to clear the space of all work now. Fresh start, no distractions, no directions but forward. Plus, one piece a day will add up fast, I am going to need the space!

I spent too much time in my head today writing this blog. None of the material did I use, I can’t remember it. Of course it was brilliant. And gone. Is that the way it’s going to be? My inner monologue screaming for an outlet; working its material out in advance, then being ridiculously quiet when the fingers hit the keys. Precious time spent not in the moment of where I am and what I am really doing, but in preparation for writing in support of a visual project. Already, evolution of form with the addition of words. Sigh.

I got a new tea maker for Christmas. It is really a coffee maker with a fancy label, but it makes a fine pot of tea, and it works excellently in the studio. Something hot is always welcome here and since I am not doing nudes right now, tea will have to do.  Speaking of nudes, the drawing today is done on paper with pastel, circa late 2008.

Well, as preparation I need to make a list. A list of all those little items that will not stop the show if they are not there, but make life so much easier. Like paper towels, masking tape, some 409, a couple more black sharpies, a new eraser, some dank weed, trash bags, some more tea bags.

So much to do.
Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment