Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day Eighty: No Mimosa Sunday

Sunday was not so sunny today. Which is good. Some days I need to do indoor things and it is impossible for me on a sunny Sunday to do that. 

So, for the first day in a long time, I stayed in my fuzzy pants all day. And after a leisurely morning reading fang smut in bed I ambled to my tool shed and started puttering. Several pots of sweet creamy tea fueled me for most of the day. 

I started with a wander in the rain to survey the trees before I started. Everything looks so different outside under a stormy sky. And the trees are still so stark. While little nubs of buds are pushing their way out, the trees here are still without leaf. On other hikes, near the river, where it must be warmer the buds have the tiniest green tips not yet visible here. 

Then with my tea hot and the music playing, I worked with a plodding simplicity and quiet brain most of the day. I do love the process.

There were interruptions of course. Mine are not the only tools in the tool shed. 

My niece, at seven, is quite an artist in her own right. I do not need to give her any advice on art. I just provide some tools. And an example of focused concentration. And we have a sideways conversation when she comes to visit  the tool shed and we work. Not much eye contact, long pauses while laboring over a color, short questions and answers, followed by approving nods to each others efforts. Simple.

And then the boys with their new acquisition: the salmon colored boat. Good thing it is not quite summer yet. The relic... its a project for them. A fun one that I support! But as they work they are noisy, greasy, make loud comments used to goad me out of concentration and into conversation. I bite usually. And bum their cigarettes.

But days spent at the easel are good if the photo representation is lacking:



Sunday March 21: pen and sharpie on paper, 14"x17"


No comments:

Post a Comment