Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day Sixty One: Adventures in Self-Delusion

I have a theory about citrus. So far, in personal experience, it bears out. An orange can indeed cure a cold. Not just juice but the entire fruity goodness inside of the peel. And that same fruit, or even a tangelo, can cure a panic attack, or bring you down just a little when things get too euphoric. Not that I have panic attacks often, but sometimes, things do seem a bit too euphoric. And that can make me panic, just a little.

And then I eat an orange.

The work it takes to get to the fruit is part of it. It must be peeled. Since I was a kid I have always strove to get the entire shell off in one piece. That has taught me a lot about how to squeeze an orange and tell if the skin will come off easy or should I perhaps cut it up with a knife because it is thin and dry and stuck to the fruit. Next, the smell from the rind as it pulls from the fruit is exuberant, it peps me up, makes me think of zest and sunshine and sharing sections with a friend. Years have turned the removal of the orangey white strings that cling to citrus like a net into a small ritual.  Finally, the sections are clean and each available like bites of health and sanity.

Okay, that might be a bit much.

But it never fails that a sweet juicy fruit can change my state of being. Even if just so slightly, usually that is enough.

So, I sat in my car and slowly ate a tangelo a while ago. Its all good.

And Spring is Here....

 

March 2: Sharpie on drawing paper. 14"x17". 


No comments:

Post a Comment