Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day Six, What Would Da Vinci Do?


A few days ago I was driving and found my mind in a tangled snarl instead of being more alert and peaceful. So I took a deep breath, sat up straight, and took in my surroundings (something not to be taken lightly perhaps while careening down the freeway). To the right I see lots of large trucks, large business buildings with equipment, next are some caterpillar type machines amid turned earth. Then next is a purple and pink plastic swing set/jungle gym in the grass. Following them are more large machines, a vacant lot and a turn to the north. I did a double take, and raced on down through traffic.
It was rather a delight to see the pink and purple, my favorite colors, right there in the middle of the otherwise heavy duty world of grownups. But why?
So, on subsequent trips down that same road, I have looked for that visual candy treat amongst the meat and potatoes. But strangely enough, I have not seen it since. Am I remembering a different part of the road? Did the potential demolition on either side cause its removal or (shudder) disposal? Or perhaps did I imagine it, conjure it in my own mind to remind me to be aware, now, more delights await.
Or has the constant smell of sharpie of various brilliant hue started to affect my perception.
And my pretension.
Back to art: I am feeling the strain of inadequate time to play with materials, develop ideas. But already the push is showing me new twists of images. And the drive to produce gets stronger with each piece undertaken. I want to go to a giant fine art supply store and browse. I envision some materials, but have not seen them yet. But until then, I have all that I need to occupy my hands, and my time.
Day Six:
14”x8.5”, pen and sharpie on white drawing paper.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment