Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day Two Hundred Fifty Nine: Ribs and Riding, Boys and Bugs

Riding after the rain was amazing. The rain had cleared the path of grasshoppers. They were everywhere in the late season heat. They seem to enjoy the pavement and made me think of swarms of locusts when I rode. They were impossible to avoid and I hated running over those that became caught in my wake. Of course, so thick were the hoppers that they bounced off my body, my bike and my face. I had to grit my teeth to make sure that they did not spring into my mouth and down my windpipe. 


I did manage to suck up a smaller bug yesterday and spent the better part of three miles hacking it back out. It reminded me of how happy I am to be a non-smoker now instead of having that cough as I did all last year. 


At any rate, this morning: the rain cleared the bugs away and in their wake were the remnants of fall: pine needles crunched under my tires and I had to wonder just how slippery when wet they would become. 


None the less, I rode, and fast. Twelve miles in just over a half hour. The storm clouds, gorgeous; the possibility of a drenching, thrilling; the pure strength, exhilarating. And the calves on a boy out running, sexy and fun. 


I think I was extra buoyant from the most excellent ribs consumed just before from Willies BBQ. Most excellent I can remember. Suck the meat off the bone wonderful. Thank you Willie for the extra rib. A pusher knows his clients and now I am hooked.


Faster I say, faster. 


And then there are friends to ride with, faster I say, faster.








Thursday, September 16: Mikey-licious. Young, fast and sweet: post ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment