Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day Two Hundred Sixty Six: The Need for Speed

On my ride this morning I wanted to at least get 11.5 miles... That is the average number of miles that I needed at that point per remaining days to reach my goal. And I had time for just that. So I thought.


On my outbound trip I passed a couple of boys riding the opposite direction. We smiled and exchanged nods. I had a more than a mile to go before the turn around point. On my return I forgot about them in lieu of a headwind. But, I had just passed the marker for the final mile back to the car when I saw them again up ahead. My need for speed kicked things up a bit and I continued to close the gap. Now, as I neared the parking lot, I was going to overtake them. It seemed a shame to blow by with a smile, only to turn off and stop. So, some distance was added on so I could dust them. And I did. I went out another mile only to meet them again on my return. 


More smiles were exchanged as I pushed past. Cute boys. 


I couldn't help but wonder though, how far they had come and how much further was planned. Perhaps if they were in the middle of a, say, 50 mile ride, they would probably pace themselves slower. I would. 


And with that thought, the puff went out of my blow hard and I while I was still happy with my ride, the day and my speed, I became less supercilious about my 'accomplishment'. Of course in my heart of hearts, I know I am faster than them, but, maybe, just maybe... I should keep that to myself.





Thursday, September 23: Sharpie on paper, 9x12

No comments:

Post a Comment